FingerPaints Asylum

    Good morning, Dear Reader!

    I changed polish before bed last night so I wouldn't have one swatch hand and one manicure hand, and I used FingerPaints Asylum from their Special Effects.  In the swatch over black, I liked how much blue was in Asylum, and I thought a very dark blue might make a cool base for it.  I used Ulta Blue for You, a navy blue with a subtle shimmer, which wasn't a great choice because I needed three coats.  That's just a lot to start with when it's a base for layering, so it wasn't a horrible choice, it just meant it was better to wait a few minutes between coats so it was inconvenient.  After the third coat I waited about five minutes to let Blue for You set, then added two coats of FingerPaints Asylum.  Here is Asylum in the sun.

    FingerPaints Asylum
    FingerPaints Asylum Special Effects, Two Coats over Navy Shimmer

    Here's a closer look at part of a nail.

    FingerPaints Asylum Swatch
    FingerPaints Asylum Special Effects, Closer Look at Two Coats over Navy

    I think it looks like a piece of blue lapis in a pool of lava, but that's such a specific image I'm going to bet that's just me.  In the top picture, you can see the slight duochrome in the orange flakes, and in the bottom picture you can really see the random and broad range of sizes of the flakes.

    I think the smaller flakes mitigate some of the shortcomings I associate with flakies.  Last night I noticed that the swatches and Twisted on my right hand were very easy to remove, way easier than most flakies or glitter, more like several coats of a shimmer.  With the swatch mani and this one, one thin coat of Essie Good to Go was enough to make the manicure glassy smooth, while I typically assume a flaky will need at least one extra coat of top coat to smooth it out.

    On the second day of wearing these, I absolutely love them.  Low-maintenance flakies are a rarity, particularly when they're cool enough to warrant high-maintenance effort, and when a $5 price tag is figured into the mix, these are spectacular.

    That's my FingerPaints Asylum manicure and the update for today, so until next time, Dear Reader, love and nail polish to you!



    All Rights Reserved, Siobhan@The Nailphile. If you're reading this elsewhere, it's stolen from a real nail polish blog.

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews